You must have read a lot about people who are highly productive and who work a lot on how they can increase their productivity. But today I want to talk about people who are highly “UNPRODUCTIVE”. They also teach us a lot about what we should “NOT” do. Working towards increasing your productivity is a must. But for that, you must know what you should NOT do. And these habits will teach you exactly that.
Our habits tell the world about us more than we do. Our habits make us who we are. If we have right habits we can achieve the biggest goals in our life, similarly, if we do not have our habits in place it will get so much difficult to even think about achieving one simple goal. So let’s talk about those habits, that you ‘SHOULDN’T’ have.
1. Not Having a routine: Unproductive people start their day without any defined routine. They do their work according to their spontaneous decisions, and that takes them to the lower level of their productivity. They run all over the place like headless chickens, and they don’t know what to do, how to do, and when to do. They become more confused, hence most of the time they are not able to finish their tasks on time. Once the famous American Singer Mike Murdock said, “The secret of your future is hidden in your daily routine.” So true is that. Isn’t it?
2. Not prioritizing their tasks: Prioritizing your tasks will give you so much clarity, about your work and overall how your day will look like. Highly unproductive people never prioritize their tasks. They perform them randomly hence, sometimes they finish the easiest tasks first and then they think about the rest of the difficult ones, hence it gets difficult for them to give that much required time to their hardest task. So as I always say you have to “EAT A FROG” else you will be considered as the highly unproductive person.
3. Constantly Thinking Negative: Highly unproductive people constantly think Negative. They feel negative about themselves, they feel negative about others. They always assume negative, hence they expect negative results from their work, and so according to the law of attraction, they attract negativity. Well, Many of you must have been thinking about how come negativity is connected to productivity. Here is the answer, Once Swami Vivekananda said, “We are what our thoughts have made us, So take care about what you think, Words are secondary, thoughts live, they travel faster.”
So Yes, Your thoughts will decide if you are productive or not, Productive people are optimistic, and they always believe in themselves and their abilities, Highly unproductive people will always have negative feelings and they will always put the blame of their failures on others.
4. Getting distracted easily: Highly unproductive people will get distracted very easily. They will never leave a single chance to look at their mobile phone notifications, Or they will never miss a single chance of getting distracted by TV, the Internet, Web series, and so on. This world is full of distractions. For example, Social Media algorithms push people to watch that one more video, Online games force us to play that one more game with strangers, Online shopping websites force us by their attractive look and feel to spend our precious time on browsing stuff here and there, It is we, who decide whether we should get distracted or not. Unproductive people do not have that control over themselves. If you want to limit your distractions please make optimum use of the “DIGITAL WELLBEING” option in your phone settings. It will switch on the “FOCUS MODE” and you will be able to block your distracting apps for a certain time period. Unproductive people will not use their phone for something good like this, So do try it to limit your distractions.
5. Not setting any goals: Highly unproductive people never set goals in their life. They take life, as it comes. So that’s why they never think about the big picture and they never set some goals so that they can achieve something bigger, something better. Again as Swami Vivekananda once said, “उत्तिष्ठत जागृत प्राप्य वरान्निबोधत” Means, “Arise, Awake and stop not until the goal is reached.” To achieve something big, first, you have to set goals in your life, only then you can achieve it. To have a productive life a goal is a foundation.
So these were the major 5 habits that a highly unproductive person has. Make sure you don’t count yourself amongst them. If you lack somewhere you can start now, Now is the right time. All I feel if we decide something, We surely can achieve it. All we have to do is, believe in ourselves, and trust the power within. Hope these habits will help you to know what you ‘Shouldn’t’ Do. - Niharika Pole Sarwate